Those of us in positions of responsibility should be leading as we all continue to grapple with the spread of this illness. I take my position seriously as a public official and my first priority is to protect my employees and my constituents to the best of my ability. My offices will continue to serve the constituents of the 8th Senatorial District, but will be working remotely until further notice. I urge everyone to take all necessary precautions so that we can limit the spread of the coronavirus.
Human coronaviruses spread just like the flu or a cold:
- Through the air by coughing or sneezing;
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands;
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it;
- Occasionally, fecal contamination.
But there are ways you can protect yourself:
- Cover coughs or sneezes with your elbow. Do not use your hands!
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Clean surfaces frequently, including countertops, light switches, cell phones, remotes, and other frequently touched items.
- Contain: if you are sick, stay home until you are feeling better.
You may also want to consider making a home emergency kit, in the event that you’re stuck inside for some time. This may include items like nonperishable food, bottled water, medications, flashlights and batteries, a first aid kit, warm clothing, and supplies for your babies or pets.
For regular updates and information, check in with the PA Department of Health at health.pa.gov.
Due to the recent Coronavirus outbreak, I will be cancelling my Talk with Tony on March 19th and the Energy Fourm & Consumer Resource Fair scheduled for March 26th.
Remember – we are all in this together! Check in on your neighbors, family, and friends over the phone. Take precautions by washing your hands, staying home as much as possible, and practicing social distancing. Be sure to visit my website and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates.
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram the latest news and updates.